Music Therapy Recording Studio
Overview on the D-MAN Music Therapy Recording Studio
On April 13, 2013 — Danny Kassab’s birthday — we began welcoming patients to participate in our life-changing music therapy program at the D-MAN Music Therapy Studio.
In our studio, our music therapists and audio engineers work with clientele using state-of-the-art assistive technology to best meet the client’s immediate needs. Using this technology, participants record and produce their own music while working towards clinical goals and objectives.
First, the therapist conducts an initial assessment and prepares a personalized care plan for the patient, working with the patient and their caregivers to create specific, individualized goals and objectives for their time in the studio. After the assessment, patients will return to the studio on a regular basis to work with the music therapist and if needed, audio engineer, on achieving said goals and objectives through musical experiences. As the music is being created, data is collected during each session to ensure that progress is being made towards the desired outcome of therapy. The therapist analyzes the collected data on a quarterly basis, and based on the data and goals and objectives can be adapted to best meet the needs of the clients.
While some sessions are individual sessions, DMAN also offers group services. Approximately twice a month, all clients who are willing to participate may engage in a group music therapy session to collaborate with other clients and bounce musical ideas. The entire community is welcome! The clients are also invited to perform the music they create during their time at the studio on a fairly regular basis. These sessions are vastly different from the individual sessions, and offer a plethora of additional benefits for the clients.
Allan Floyd, one of our previous clients with a spinal cord injury, knows the miracle of music therapy. He’s participated in other programs and was eagerly looking forward to our studio opening”
We are beyond excited about expanding our program to reach a wide range of clientele throughout the Metro Detroit community.
What is Music Therapy?
Music therapy is making breakthroughs.
According to the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA), music therapy is the “clinical and evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program”.
Music therapy has shown great success with improving the quality of life for patients within a wide range of populations. Although music therapy originated within Veterans’ hospitals after World War I, it has since grown and expanded exponentially. Music therapists now serve clients as young as babies in the NICU all the way into older adults in end-of-life care, and everything in between.
Music therapists use music to address the physical, psychological, cognitive, and social needs of each patient. Through the therapeutic use of music, client’s capabilities are strengthened and transferred into other areas of their lives.
Due to advances in research, the understanding of music’s role and function in medicine is rapidly transforming. Neuroscience and collaborative research are beginning to show the life enhancing ways that music therapy changes brain functioning. Music therapy can be an incredibly effective modality to supplement prior or continuing treatment in physical, cognitive, social, and emotional domains.
In addition to research-based advances, music therapy technology has also been advancing. It is now becoming easier than ever for clients with severe physical and cognitive disabilities to achieve awe-inspiring outcomes, improving their overall quality of life.
Knowing how much music positively impacted Danny’s life, Ziad Kassab and Danny’s entire family made it their mission to leave a legacy in Danny’s honor by helping others affected by disabilities enjoy and benefit from music therapy.
For further information on music therapy, check out one of the websites below:
- The time spent in the D-Man music therapy program was the most rewarding activity for our son. Scott thrived on writing his songs, creating the audio parts and practicing for live performances. His greatest accomplishment was his very own Charlie Starlight Album.
- D-man is just what it stands for. Miracle Angels! I have witnessed firsthand where this foundation has improved the quality of life for each individual they come in contact with. This Barrier Free Music Therapy Studio gives each client an opportunity to learn, write, and create something into their very own, and it’s astonishing to be able to watch. Their clients get the opportunity to continue their growth and build their confidence level through special performances throughout the calendar year. Thank you for all that you do. You are Angel’s on Earth!
- The D-MAN Foundation is doing something that I have never seen before. Something that touches the soul of our local Quadriplegic and Paraplegic community. Through offering Music Therapy to these individuals who crave to express their talents, they receive an opportunity and outlet they never thought they could have."
- My son’s experiences with the D-MAN Foundation have been truly miraculous. For the 2 hours that he is there each week, Trei is completely immersed in the process of developing his voice through his music. The performances, production pieces, and special events have given our son opportunities to participate fully in an activity that he is passionate about. When he’s at D-MAN, it’s not about what he has lost but about what he can create.
- Dreams do come true! This foundation has made such an amazing change in our lives. We are so blessed to be part of this group of people that we call family. You all inspire us to want to be the best. There is not a day that goes by that we are not thankful for Danny (DMAN) and the Kassab family! We love you and appreciate all that you’ve done to help all people feel special!
- The DMAN Foundation is an outstanding, first class organization that does so much to enrich the lives of others. I’m blessed to be associated with such amazing people! God Bless Ziad Kassab and the DMAN Family!
The D-MAN Music Therapy Studio Videos
Detroit Music Awards
WXYZ Music Studio News Coverage
Channel 4 Music Studio News Coverage
Fox 2 News Coverage Music Studio